Топ-100
Back

ⓘ Fortified Sector of the Dauphine. The Fortified Sector of the Dauphine was the French military organization that in 1940 controlled the section of the Alpine Li ..




Fortified Sector of the Dauphine
                                     

ⓘ Fortified Sector of the Dauphine

The Fortified Sector of the Dauphine was the French military organization that in 1940 controlled the section of the Alpine Line portion of the Maginot Line facing Italy in the vicinity of Briançon. By comparison with the integrated defenses of the main Maginot Line, or even of the Fortified Sector of the Maritime Alps to the south, the Dauphine sector consisted of a series of distinct territories that covered two main invasion routes into France: the route from Turin over the Col de Montgenevre to Briançon and Grenoble, and the route from Coni over the Col de Larche to Barcelonette and Gap. The sector was the scene of probing attacks by Italian forces during the Italian invasion of France in 1940, in which the French defenses successfully resisted Italian advances until the June 1940 armistice that granted Italy access to southeastern France.

The sector was broadly divided into informal districts, sub-sectors and quarters or quartiers features, reflects the fragmented nature of the Alpine landscape, in which each valley was pronounced defensive. Small detachments were hired to patrol the border and people separate the post from the observation bunkers to the excavations of mountain artillery ouvrages.

                                     
  • the Defensive Sector of the Rhone to the north, and the Fortified Sector of the Dauphine to the south. The works combined a number of pre - 1914 fortifications
  • infantry abri or shelter. See Fortified Sector of the Dauphine for a broader discussion of the Dauphine sector of the Alpine Line. Block 1 north entry
  • controlled movement along RN 100. See Fortified Sector of the Dauphine for a broader discussion of the Dauphine sector of the Alpine Line. Saint - Ours Bas has
  • infantry abri or shelter. See Fortified Sector of the Dauphine for a broader discussion of the Dauphine sector of the Alpine Line. Block 1 north entry
  • of 2, 680 metres 8, 790 ft Construction work was completed in 1934, but the ouvrage was not armed until 1938. See Fortified Sector of the Dauphine for
  • north. The position was built between 1931 and 1935. See Fortified Sector of the Dauphine for a broader discussion of the Dauphine sector of the Alpine
  • of the Fortified Sector of the Dauphine The fort is composed of an armed citadel or donjon on the highest point, and a caserne on a lower shelf The Fort
  • French Army in the defense of Briançon until 1940, when it was part of the Fortified Sector of the Dauphine The position overlooks the earlier Fort des
  • one STG observation cloche. See Fortified Sector of the Dauphine for a broader discussion of the Dauphine sector of the Alpine Line. Plate - Lombard saw
  • metres 7, 641 ft See Fortified Sector of the Dauphine for a broader discussion of the Dauphine sector of the Alpine Line. Block 1 entry two machine